Right now, I’m reading O.V. Vijayan’s The Legends of Khasak. He recently died. But he was not so popularly alive in reader’s minds because of his self-chosen solitude and obscurity.
Most critics call him “our own Gabriel Garcia Marquez” as this novel’s genre is “Magic Realism.” I disagree with this kind of alibi-creation for a novelist - as Vijayan has his own special style of festooning his characters with the travails and joys of human life. Moreover, Marquez’s novels are translated by somebody else into English. Whereas Vijayan used to write in Malayalam and translate the same into English in a melodious smooth prose. I’m not trying to downplay the prolific narrative imagination of Marquez. As I believe in what the eminent French philosopher, Ronald Barthes once said discussing the merits of translation: “narrative is translatable…without any fundamental damage.”
A sparkling illustration of Vijayan’s style:
Magnificent prose that just glides through the mind like mercury. It’s indeed an honor to have such felicity with language with which such beautiful thoughts are panned before the reader.
A few paragraphs later, Vijayan describes how
…Mother took the little one with her on a strange palanquin. Many people moved in and out of the house that day…the palanquin was ready;
Through the deft use of metaphoric language, Vijayan swiftly takes the reader through the death of
More in the next post…
Source: Selected Fiction – O.V. Vijayan, Penguin, 1998
No comments:
Post a Comment